To all our sponsors, volunteers, and friends,
In this time of trial and uncertainty, we truly hope you and your families are keeping well and healthy. The world has changed dramatically in the three and a half months since we last wrote to you but our commitment to encouraging young women to think about investment as a career remains as strong as ever. And while we have had to put our in-person schools talks on temporary hold, we wanted to give you an update on what we have accomplished so far in 2020 (including some VERY exciting news on the personnel front) and our plans for continuing GAIN’s work into the Summer and Autumn 2020!
2020 – progress to date
As we shared with you in our January newsletter, momentum coming into 2020 was incredibly strong and we saw that continue through mid-March until the lockdown curtailed our progress:
- Schools. Before the government lockdown, GAIN speakers gave eleven talks to sixth-form students, reaching approximately 1,070 students at schools including Reading Blue Coat School, Harlington School and Fettes College. GAIN representatives also hosted three sessions at sixth-form careers fairs, addressing approximately 350 students.
- Universities. Our universities effort saw amazing traction thanks to our university Ambassadors at Cambridge, Oxford and University College London, with GAIN speakers attending five panel discussions on careers in investing as well as hosting workshops on investment valuation and analysis.
Tineke Frikkee, Natasha Braginsky Mounier and Sophie Aldrich speaking at University College London
- Mentoring. We officially launched our mentorship programme in January and have seven of our wonderful university Ambassadors matched up with mentors coming from our amazing group of volunteer speakers.
- Speakers. We now have over 100 talented and enthusiastic women signed up to serve as GAIN speakers and representatives.
- Sponsors. Since January, we have received a number of additional donations and commitments, thanks to the incredible generosity of our newest sponsors, Mondrian Investment Partners and Farallon Capital, as well as a further donation from one of our cornerstone supporters, Alta Advisers!
Finally, we are delighted to announce some VERY exciting news on the personnel front: we have hired a remarkable woman to serve as the permanent Programme Director for GAIN! Tanya Tracey joins us from CFA UK's Inclusion & Diversity Partner Programme, where she was the Programme Manager. Before that, Tanya spent most of her career in investment banking, having worked in corporate broking/investor relations advisory roles at JPMorgan, BNY Mellon and Nomura International. She also has in-house investor relations experience from working at SABMiller plc.
Tanya Tracey, our new Programme Director!
With Tanya joining us, we now have a dedicated resource to facilitate all of GAIN’s activities!! The GAIN founding team will continue to be very involved in GAIN, but we will all achieve so much more leveraging Tanya’s expertise! WELCOME TANYA!
2020 – looking forward
With schools out of session, we have been looking into alternative ways to connect with students in the coming months so we have been exploring all manner of remote-learning options. We already have three online events scheduled for the coming weeks:
- 5 May: we are co-hosting GAIN’s first online event which will be a Zoom panel with the Oxford Venture Capital Network. We have three fantastic GAIN representatives ready to speak on the subject Responsible Investing- How Does Investment Impact Society;
- 12 May: In partnership with the Talent Tap (https://www.thetalenttap.com/), Tilly and Charlotte from GAIN will present via Zoominar to pupils across nine schools; and
- TBC (mid-May): a GAIN speaker will be presenting to St. Swithun’s School via Microsoft Teams.
We hope that these three events are just the start of a very busy (virtual) presentation calendar, and we are very happy to send additional details in case any of our network or supporters are able to join! Moreover, if your school, or a school you know, might be interested in hosting a virtual GAIN event, please contact us!
Finally, we wanted to send our heartfelt best wishes to you all. In times like this, we can hopefully take comfort in all of our networks, including our families, friends, and our wider communities. Thank you all so much for being part of the GAIN community. We can’t wait to see you again soon.
With warmest regards,
The GAIN team